New DeMatha OC

12/12/2017 5:21:07 PM
DeMathaPride
12/12/2017 5:21:07 PM Report Abuse

VIA Twitter: NEWS: Chris Grier (@), former Sherwood head coach, is the new offensive coordinator and assistant head coach

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
JoeT716
12/12/2017 8:06:58 PM Report Abuse

https://twitter.com/CoachGrier/status/939220155758006272/photo/1

JoeT716
12/12/2017 8:13:50 PM Report Abuse

Setting up to be the next DeMatha head coach when Brooks takes a college assistant job?

silverbullet
12/13/2017 10:43:03 AM Report Abuse

That’s very wishful thinking on your part. It is the time of year when people speculate Brooks’ leap to the next level. I wouldn’t bet on it. He has a young family and the college assistant coaching life is brutal with travel. Grier has coached at DeMatha before. DM was in need of a new OC. It’s a natural fit. It’s a great move for both. 

tomslick88
12/15/2017 1:42:31 PM Report Abuse

Who were the other coaches let go?

JoeT716
12/15/2017 4:14:06 PM Report Abuse

Wishful  thinking? I hope he stays to "reap what he has sown"...after three years of being out-recruited by SJC and others this was the least talented DeMatha team in many years. Spotty play at quarterback, average offensive line (by DeMatha standards), average running backs (after injury to Lloyd) and a good but not great defense is why they lost five games. And the assistant coaches are getting blamed? The truth is they are not " built differently" anymore...the others have caught up (and some have passed them).

silverbullet
12/16/2017 11:58:13 AM Report Abuse

One football championship in 20-something years and you’ve “passed” DM. That‘s about as SJC as it gets. And you wonder why people chuckle at you guys like goofballs...

So SJC has out recruited everyone, right? Makes sense when you completely ignore the fact that you needed to bring in another 4* senior transfer QB for a few months. That screams a thoroughly developed team. You do understand what ‘17 SJC looks like without Doyle, right? Let that sink in with the fact that DeMatha had its worse offense in 30+ years before you start prancing around like you’re in the middle of some record breaking dynasty. Is Caz going to snuff the Wilson QB transfer with another 4* senior transfer for ‘18? 

JoeT716
12/16/2017 3:11:57 PM Report Abuse

Why wouldn't a stud QB want to transfer to SJC with all the pieces around him in place? So, yes, they will find a qb. And the player you referred to went back to Wilson in September...guess you missed that. 

silverbullet
12/18/2017 12:13:13 PM Report Abuse

Yea, I missed that departure. Not too many people attempt to keep up with who is coming and going at SJC these days. What’s that, 9 total football transfers out for 2017? 

Nobody said it wasn’t a good move for Doyle. We’re talking about your claim that after one championship in decades, SJC has passed everyone else in the WCAC in recruitng while constantly looking for senior QB transfers and not even having a freshman team. Like I said, realize what SJC would of been in ‘17 without Doyle. That three years of out recruiting would of ended up 3rd or 4th in the league.

JoeT716
12/18/2017 5:33:06 PM Report Abuse

Many of the departures were asked to depart...SJC does have standards (maybe DeMatha doesn't)...only a couple would have made an impact on the team and apparently they were not greatly missed, were they?...and the only two schools that still field freshman-only teams are the all-male schools with twice as many boys as the co-ed schools. And you have to go back three years to find a DeMatha or Gonzaga JV or Freshman team that beat St.John's...quality over quantity.

silverbullet
12/18/2017 7:26:10 PM Report Abuse

Quality, but needs to search for a new senior QB transfer every year, over quantity. Got it. Good luck with that tried and true method...

Standards? Good one.

JoeT716
12/18/2017 8:16:09 PM Report Abuse

Worked so far...champions>6+5...lol.

billbobaggins
12/17/2017 10:59:21 PM Report Abuse

So let’s me understand this DeMatha has been out recruited. Doesn’t seem legit when there frosh programs look pretty darn good. And a program like sjc finds themselves recruiting guys to come in as juniris because there class is so poor. Me looking at DM recruiting class for the next few years they look really really good 

JoeT716
12/18/2017 11:13:11 AM Report Abuse

St. John's freshmen and sophomore classes are loaded...3 freshmen and 5 sophomores started for the championship team...all have D1 offers already...several others played got playing time...the others played JV ( no freshmen team) and went undefeated...last years freshmen beat DeMatha also...none are transfers.

Stags00
12/21/2017 10:49:13 AM Report Abuse

And how old are those freshmen? Let's just say, I'm pretty certain they won't be around as seniors for SJC. 

JoeT716
12/21/2017 3:51:29 PM Report Abuse

Nice try...all will be around and kicking DeMatha's butt when they are seniors...they might end their careers 8-0 against the Stags.

JoeT716
12/26/2017 3:47:36 PM Report Abuse

Brooks to become the running backs coach at Maryland?

FootballFanatic11
12/22/2017 9:41:24 AM Report Abuse

Just playing devils advocate ,,,,, I doubt seriously the SJC freshman finish undefeated against their counterparts from DM or any of the other big four.  One thing is for sure ,,, two things for certain ,,,, the WCAC is extemely unpredicatable when it comes to the big four and on any given Friday night / Saturday afternoon its wide open.  To say that ANY of the freshman classes will go undefeated against the others is ridiculous. 

I understand all the excitement the SJC followers have ,,, they won it this year for the first time in however long.  So kudos to them.   But .... the coaching in the WCAC is very good ,,, no one can say how kids will develope over the next three years ,,,, what kids will remain at their respective schools ,,,,, any potential injuries ,,,,, etc   etc  etc.  To assume there has been a "changing of the guards" so to speak is VERY premature. 

Gonzaga is very young and talented, they are going to be a force to recon with. 

Good Counsel is extremely well coached, and also loaded with talent.  To count them out would be a huge mistake. 

DeMatha is DeMatha, Period!!  Over the years they have proven to be the one constant in the race ,, regardles of whether or not they won the championship.  I don't know the exact number but there have only been a few years in the last 20 or so that they haven't at least been in the championship game, and they have won a lot more then they have lost.      

WCAC football is clearly  one of the better conferences as a whole in the nation with talent all over the league.  Gonna be fun watching how things shake out each and every year. 

JoeT716
12/23/2017 9:04:04 AM Report Abuse

I actually agree with everything in your post but just having a little fun with the DeMatha folks who are having a tough time dealing with not being the top dog for a change. And never said the SJC freshmen "will" go undefeated but said they "might"...they are the only ones in the WCAC that has a chance to.

TSFN 30739
5/14/2018 8:59:22 AM Report Abuse

Grier, Is just a bad pick by Coach Brookes. Grier has not never won a big game, Ever. He won't last the year as the OC, still don't know what DeMatha was thinking. As a Head Coach for Dematha underclass teams, could never beat GC. At Sherwood, he NEVER has won a playoff game. Now is taking players from Sherwood, Hope Coach Brookes has a teaching spot for him, because he will be run out of Sherwood. The Good news is that, in the WCAC Dematha will not be a factor.

FootballFanatic11
6/29/2018 11:34:17 AM Report Abuse

DeMatha not a factor?  Really?   Clearly you sound like a Sherwood supporter and thats fine ,,,, but even more so you sound like a Grier hater.  He may have had his struggles at Sherwood, but I'm sure Sherwood didn't have the level or depth of talent that he will have at DeMatha.  Grier just may be a solid fit, only time will tell. 

As has already been stated above ,,,, to count DeMatha or any of the other WCAC schools out is simply ridiculous.   Both DM and SJC are ranked in the top ten for most difficult schedules in the country according to Max Preps, and GC is playng a loaded Marrietta HS team from Georgia.  So they will certainly be battle tested.  SJC has their work cut out for them to repeat as top dog this year.   Gonna be fun to watch.  

New Comment

You must confirm your email to post in the forums.
You must login to report abuse. Close